Jesus’ Life: Chapter 19 – The Resurrection Of Jesus
The likely order of Jesus’ appearances following his resurrection is as follows:
- Mary Magdalene. (John 20:14; Mark 16:9)
- Mary Magdalene and Mary the Mother of James & Joseph. (Matthew 28:7-10)
- Simon Peter. (Luke 24:34; 1 Corinthians 15:4-8)
- Cleopas and another disciple at Emmaus. (Luke 24:13-35; Mark 16:12-13)
- The Ten Apostles at Jerusalem – Excluding Thomas. (Mark 16:14; Luke 24:36; John 20:19)
- The Eleven Apostles at Jerusalem – Including Thomas. (John 20:26)
- Five Apostles (Simon Peter, Thomas (Didymus), Nathanael (Bartholomew), James & John (Sons of Zebedee)) and two other unnamed disciples by the Sea of Tiberias (Galilee). (John 21:1-24)
- The Eleven Apostles on a mountain in Galilee. (Matthew 28:16)
- A gathering of five hundred people. (1 Corinthians 15:6)
- St James. (1 Corinthians 15:7)
- The Eleven Apostles at Jerusalem before His Ascension. (Mark 16:19-20; Luke 24:50; Acts 1:3-12)
- Paul (Saul) on the Road to Damascus. (1 Corinthians 15:8; Acts 9:1-25)
There are slight discrepancies between Matthew, Mark, Luke, John and Paul’s timeline of Jesus’ appearances. They naturally reflect the independence of the writers and their use of different witnesses, as well as, the difficulties for witnesses to recall exact event order, months or even many years afterwards.
The foundation of our faith: Jesus died, rose from the dead and ascended to Heaven.
“My Lord and my God,” be the resurrection and life for all who seek to live by your Gospel values; forgive them their sins and grant them eternal joy with You in Heaven. Amen.
Prayer: Humility (St Alphonsus Liguori)
Most humble Jesus,
give me a share of your humility.
Take from my heart, everything that displeases you;
convert it totally to you,
so that I may no longer will or desire
anything other than what you will.