Bible Event – Jesus’ Life
Jesus’ Sermon on the Mount, 2000 years ago, was a momentous event in His ministry. The location was possibly Karn Hattin along the Sea of Galilee.
After gathering his disciples around Him, He spoke to them and the assembled crowd. His multiple messages stretched from the poor to fasting, the law of the prophets, divorce, adultery, the judging of others and of course, the “Narrow Gate”.
- Anyone that looks at a woman lustfully commits adultery
- Do not swear
- Do not worry
- Love your enemies
- Treat others as your brother or sister
- The meek are blessed
- You are the light of the world
- Do not resist an evil person… eye for
- Do not store treasures on earth
- Beware of false prophets and pretenders
- No one can serve two masters
- Ask, seek, knock and the door will be opened
- Plan your entry to the Kingdom of God through the “Narrow Gate”.
When Jesus finished his Sermon, the people were amazed by His teaching because, “He taught them like one who had authority, not like their experts in the law”. (Matthew 7:28-29, Mark 1:21-22)
Jesus’ Sermon is a small dictionary of how we should live. We must seek the Holy Spirit to help us respond fully to Jesus’ ways.
Lord Jesus, you alone have given me the words of eternal life. Keep me faithful to your teachings.
Prayer: Holy Spirit
Come Holy Spirit,
fill the hearts of your faithful
and kindle in them the fire of Your Divine Love.
Send forth Your Spirit and they shall be created,
and You shall renew the face of the earth.
O God, who by the light of the Holy Spirit
instructed the hearts of the faithful.
Grant, that by the same Spirit we may be truly wise
and ever rejoice in His consolation.
We ask this through Christ Our Lord. Amen.