Jesus’ Life: Chapter 5 – The Sermon On The Mount
Jesus, having appointed twelve Apostles from among his followers took them up a mountain, sat them down and said:
• ….the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of Heaven.
• ….those who mourn: for they will be comforted.
• ….the meek: for they will inherit the earth.
• ….those who hunger and thirst for righteousness: for they will be satisfied.
• ….the merciful: for they will be shown mercy.
• ….the pure in heart: for they will see God.
• ….the peacemakers: for they will be called children of God.
• ….those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. (Matthew 5:3-12, Mark 3:7-13, Luke 6:20-23)
How can we live the beatitudes on a daily basis? Here are some thoughts:
• Poor in Spirit – accept that you need God
• Mourn – express sincere sorrow for your sins
• Meek – accept God’s authority
• Hunger and Thirst – long for Jesus
• Merciful – forgive, be kind and compassionate
• Pure in Heart – be clean and holy
• Peacemakers – be at peace with God
• Persecuted – pray for those proclaiming the Gospel of Jesus
Lord Jesus, despite your overwhelming generosity and kindness, my ways return to sin. Forgive me, open my heart and help me to be more merciful towards others.
May Christ support us all the day long,
till the shadows lengthen,
and the evening comes,
and the busy world is hushed,
and the fever of life is over
and our work is done.
Then in his mercy
may he give us a safe lodging,
and holy rest
and peace at the last. Amen.