Jesus’ Life: Chapter 5 – The Sermon On The Mount
Jesus wanted people, not only to hear his teachings but to make lifestyle changes.
When Jesus witnessed at first-hand, the day to day hypocrisy of many Jewish Leaders, he was very disappointed and warned his disciples saying:
When you Give: – goods or money to the Church or needy:
– do not give, for others to see,
– do not blow your own trumpet, keep it secret!
When you Pray:
– do not stand in public places, for others to see,
– when you pray, go to your inner room, close the door, keep it secret!
When you Fast:
– do not look gloomy, for others to see,
– wash your face, keep it secret! (Matthew 6:1-6)
Jesus’ message is as relevant to us today as it was to the disciples; get your ‘secret’ reward in heaven.
Lord Jesus, I offer to you, all that I have, all that I am and all that I do.
Prayer: Guidance (Basil of Caesarea)
Steer the ship of my life, good Lord,
to your quiet harbour,
where I can be safe from the storms of evil and conflict.
Show me the course I should take.
Renew in me the gift of discernment,
so that I can always see the right direction in which I should go.
And give me the strength and the courage to choose the right course,
even when the sea is rough and the waves are high,
knowing that through enduring hardship and danger,
in your name, I shall find comfort and peace.