Jesus’ Life: Chapter 4 – Jesus’ Ministry In Galilee (Part 1)
- Jesus was born in Bethlehem while Mary and Joseph were travelling to register for taxes, on the orders of Caesar Augustus. (Date: 1-7 BC)
- The Holy Family fled from Iudaea Province to Egypt, to avoid the execution of the Holy Innocents (boys under two years old) on King Herod’s instructions.
- After King Herod died, the Holy Family returned to Nazareth where Jesus grew up.
- At 12, Jesus travelled with his parents and community to Jerusalem to celebrate the Jewish Passover. For three days, Jesus was, “Lost in the Temple”.
- As a teenager and young man, Jesus lived in Nazareth, worked with his carpenter father, learned scripture, prayed and, we can naturally assume, planned his forthcoming Ministry.
- At around 30, Jesus. the Son of God. embarked on his Ministry around Iudaea Province.
- 3 to 3½ years later, Jesus was crucified and died at Calvary in Jerusalem.
- Three days later, Jesus rose from the dead.
It is said that Jesus travelled no more than 200 miles from his home. Yet, He transformed the world. Today, Christianity is the largest world religion, 2.2 billion and growing.
The task of extending Jesus’ message to the whole world and establishing Christian unity, is now in our hands; we have a big part to play. With God’s help, you and I can and we will.
Lord Jesus, thank you for the many gifts, graces and blessings. Show me the small steps that I can take to share your teachings with your people.
Prayer: Christian Unity (John Henry Newman)
O Lord Jesus Christ,
when you were about to suffer,
you prayed for your disciples that they might all be one,
as you are in the Father,
and the Father in you.
Look down in pity on the many divisions
among those who profess your faith.
Heal the wounds which the pride of man
and the craft of satan has inflicted on your people.
Break down the walls of separation which divide Christians.
Look with compassion on all souls and bring them together
under the Holy Catholic Church.