Bible Event – Jesus’ Life
Time: Good Friday: – Approximately 9.00am
Despite His innocence, Pilate’s soldiers were devoid of all mercy for Jesus and a brutal sport ensued among them:
- They marched Jesus to Pilate’s residence, the Praetorium. (Matthew 27:27)
- They called together their whole cohort. Probably as many as 200 people (Pulpit Bible Commentary). (Mark 15:16)
- They stripped Him of his garments. (Matthew 27:28, John 19:2)
- They “had Him flogged severely”. (John 19:1)
- They put a purple cloak on Him. (Mark 15:17)
- They “braided a crown of thorns” and placed it on His head. (Mark 15:17)
- They placed a Staff in His right hand, mockingly knelt down before Him, saluted and exclaimed, “Hail, king of the Jews”.(Matthew 27:29)
- They repeatedly “struck him on the head with the staff and spat on Him”. (Mark 15:19)
- Finally, they put His own clothes back on and “led Him away to be crucified”. (Mark 15:20)
St John Chrysostom asks, “And why did they scourge Him? Either as one condemned… or to please them[selves]. And yet He ought to have resisted them… For since both by His defence of Himself and by His prayers, He had shown His humanity, again He showeth His exaltedness and the greatness of His nature… by His silence… But to none of these things did they give way”.  (Matthew 27:27-31a, Mark 15:16-20a, John 19:2-3)
In my everyday moments, how great is my respect for the condemned, the suffering, the marginalised, the poor…? Where they are, Jesus reigns!
Lord Jesus, open my heart to the plight of my suffering brothers and sisters; then Lord, grant me the wisdom and courage to show my face, stand up and defend them. Amen.
Happy are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Happy are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth.
Happy are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.
Happy are they who hunger and thirst for righteous sake, they shall be satisfied.
Happy are the merciful, for they shall obtain mercy.
Happy are the clean of heart for they shall see God.
Happy are the peacemakers, for they shall be called children of God.
Happy are they who suffer persecution for justice’s sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Amen.