Cleophas and the other disciple stopped at a village to rest and eat. When they took their place at the table with Jesus, “He took the bread, blessed and broke it, and gave it to them”.
“At this point, their eyes were opened and they recognised him. Then he vanished out of their sight”. (Luke 24:30-31)
How often do I fail to recognise you, my Lord?
Lord Jesus, open my eyes to the wonders of your Divine being.
Prayer: Sarum Book of Hours (1514)
God be in my head and in my understanding.
God be in my eyes and in my looking.
God be in my mouth and in my speaking.
God be in my heart and in my thinking.
God be at my end and at my departing.
Prayer: Victims of War (Pope St John Paul II)
To You, creator of nature and humanity, of truth and beauty, I pray:
- Hear my voice, for it is the voice of the victims of all wars and violence among individuals and nations;
- Hear my voice, for it is the voice of all children who suffer and who will suffer when people put their faith in weapons and war;
- Hear my voice, when I beg you to instil into the hearts of all human beings the vision of peace, the strength of justice and the joy of fellowship;
- Hear my voice, for I speak for the multitudes in every country and in every period of history who do not want war and are ready to walk the road of peace;
- Hear my voice, and grant insight and strength so that we may always respond to hatred with love, to injustice with total dedication to justice, to need with the sharing of self, to war with peace.
O God, hear my voice and grant to the world your everlasting peace.