Jesus taught His disciples The Lord’s Prayer saying, “When you pray… pray like this”: Our Father, who art in Heaven… (Matthew 6:7-15)
As well as being a beautiful prayer, it structure shows us multiple techniques for embracing God:
- Talk to God – Our Father, in Heaven
- Worship and praise God – Hallowed be Thy Name
- Pray, not for selfish needs but for the fulfilment of God’s plan within us- Thy will be done on earth…
- Seek God’s help with our personal needs – Give us our daily bread…
- Seek God’s forgiveness and forgive those who sin against us – Forgive us our sins…
- Seek God’s strength and grace to avoid future sin – And lead us not…
Pour your heart out to God.
Almighty God, you are my Master. I give you my heart, my love and my life. Graciously guide me through my difficulties today and accept my every joy and suffering as a small token of my desire to do your will and be with you in Heaven for all eternity. Glory to You my God, seated on the highest heavens.
Prayer: Service of the Poor
Make us worthy, Lord,
to serve our brothers and sisters throughout the world,
who live and die in poverty and hunger.
Give them, through our hands,
this day their daily bread,
and by our understanding love,
give them peace and joy.
Make us, Lord,
worthy to serve our brothers and sisters,
scattered all over the world,
who live and die alone and poor.
Give them today, using our hands, their daily bread.
And, using our love, give them peace and happiness. Amen.