St John introduces us to his Gospel with the statement, “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was fully God.” (John 1:1)
Q. Why did John call God the Word?
A. “The plainest reason seems to be that as our words explain our minds to others so, the Son of God was sent in order to reveal his Father’s mind to the world.” (Matthew Henry Commentary)
How strong is my faith in the Gospel writings, Jesus’ Word?
Lord Jesus, open my heart to your teachings, guide me through my storms and trials, in my darkest hours hold me. Amen.
Prayer: Victims of War (Pope St John Paul II)
To You, creator of nature and humanity, of truth and beauty, I pray:
- Hear my voice, for it is the voice of the victims of all wars and violence among individuals and nations;
- Hear my voice, for it is the voice of all children who suffer and who will suffer when people put their faith in weapons and war;
- Hear my voice, when I beg you to instil into the hearts of all human beings the vision of peace, the strength of justice and the joy of fellowship;
- Hear my voice, for I speak for the multitudes in every country and in every period of history who do not want war and are ready to walk the road of peace;
- Hear my voice, and grant insight and strength so that we may always respond to hatred with love, to injustice with total dedication to justice, to need with the sharing of self, to war with peace.
O God, hear my voice and grant to the world your everlasting peace.