Background: The title, Our Lady of Sorrows, originates from seven of Mary’s most sorrowful events in her life and it reminds us of the deep sacrifices she made for all of humanity.
The special events are:
1. Mary with Joseph at the Temple in Jerusalem and being told by Simeon, “A sword will pierce your heart”. (Luke 2:34-35)
2. Mary and Joseph’s flight to Egypt, to avoid Herod finding Jesus and killing him. (Matthew 2:13)
3. Mary and Joseph frantically searching for three days for Jesus in Jerusalem. (Luke 2:43-45)
4. Mary meeting Jesus as he carried his Holy Cross to Calvary.
5. Mary watching Jesus die on the Holy Cross. (John 19:25)
6. Mary watching the soldier thrust a spear into Jesus’ side. (Matthew 27:57-59)
7. Mary, with others, placing Jesus’ body in the tomb. (John 19:40-42)
The Feast of Our Lady of Sorrows is the 15th September.
Most holy and afflicted Virgin, Queen of Martyrs, you stood beneath the Cross, witnessing the agony of your dying Son.
Look with a mother’s tenderness and pity on me, who kneels before you.
I venerate your sorrows and I place my requests with family confidence in the sanctuary of your wounded heart.
Present them, I beseech you, on my behalf to Jesus Christ, through the merits of his own most sacred passion and death, together with your sufferings at the foot of the Cross.
Through the united virtue of both, obtain the granting of my petition.
To whom shall I have recourse in my wants and miseries if not to you, Mother of Mercy?
You drank so deeply of the chalice of your son, you can understand our sorrows.
Holy Mary, your soul was pierced by a sword of sorrow at the sight of the passion of your Divine Son.
Intercede for me and obtain from Jesus:
[State your request…]
Pray: Our Father… Hail Mary… Glory Be…
… Our Lady of Sorrows, Pray for Us …
Prayers to: The Blessed Virgin Mary
Novenas to Our Lady